Music and Gender

     Coming from a musical family and listening to a wide variety of music myself, I have some experiences with music and gender. In my opinion regarding if different genders are expected to listen to certain types of music, males are expected to listen to rap, heavy metal, rock music but if girls like genres like that, it's strange. If you're a girl and tell people from a small town you like heavy metal music, you might get looked at funny, there is different expectations depending on where a person lives. likewise, I think that girls are expected to listen to genres like pop or country music if you live in a town that has set gender expectations. Girls in some ways are expected to be a little musical sometimes, whether it be sing or play an instrument. It can be seen as the right thing to be musical if you're a female. If you are not musical, it can be seen as out of the ordinary, especially if you live in a small town. 

    I think depending on if you come from a small town, there's expectations of girls and boys in music. For example, in middle school I was in choir. It was pretty understood socially that the girls joined choir and the boys joined band or football. There were some boys in choir but all the rest of the boys in school considered it not "manly" to be in choir with us. As a result of people's expectations of boys in choir, it was constantly seen as a joke or funny that 8th grade boys would want to join choir instead of football or band. In middle school choir I was a soprano and the girls that were alto almost never got picked for a solo. Especially if you were a soprano and a teacher's favorite, you were almost guaranteed the special solos for the concert. As you can see below, I attached a picture of me in middle school before a choir concert. These outfits were a requirement, only in high school could you wear the black dresses for a choir concert. My favorite part is the cummerbund haha. :)

Me in 8th grade standing in front of a fireplace wearing a black skirt and a white button up shirt, with a red cummerbund and my hair in a bun.
8th grade Megan before a choir concert :)

    My brother was in middle school band and he played the snare drum and occasionally the bass drum. I would go to his school concerts and I noticed that very rarely did girls play the drums. It was always the boys who played the big bass drums, snare drums, trumpet or trombone and the girls would play the flute or clarinet. There may have been a few girls who played instruments like the trumpet or trombone but from what I remember, it was mostly the boys. This may have been because the drum is seen as a male instrument and the flute is for a female. Gender expectations like this are not good though because it doesn't encourage being different and doing what you want to do. 

    For my last example of my experience with music and gender, it is going to be about my family. As previously talked about, my Mother's family is very musical. My Papa plays the trumpet and my Nana and Mom both play the piano, organ, and sing. My mom can also play the flute and my Aunt plays the piano and sings too. As you can see, I've always been surrounded by music whether it was at my grandparents' house, my Mom's house, or my church. They are all very talented and good at what they do.  I don't play instruments, but I do sing in my church choir and for fun. I don't play instruments because of my physical disability, Cerebral Palsy. My right hand is affected because of my disability and this means I physically cannot play instruments when most need two functional hands to play. 

My Mom and my Nana right before playing the piano together at church. 

  Being that my Nana, My Mom and Aunt all play an instrument and sing, sometimes I get disappointed I can't live up to my own personal expectations of what I wish I could do besides just sing. For clarity, no one in my family makes me feel like this, it's my own feeling. My whole life I can't tell you how many people say, "How come you don't play the piano like your mother? They all play an instrument, do you play?" This relates to gender because people think it is a passed down hobby that all the women in my family are supposed to learn an instrument and sing. Being that I just sing, I broke the norm of what others expect I do because of my family history but can't because of my disability. 

My Mom accompanying at Presbyterian college for Metropolitan Opera singer, Hugo Vera.  

    These are my stories and personal experiences of what I've witnessed or been through for music and gender. I hope you enjoyed my blog. :)

Comments

  1. Similar to your first statement, my interests in classical music definitely confused some people growing up (I'm assuming because they expected me to enjoy the average radio/pop song and etc.). As for band, while I primarily played flute (as did the 7 other girls in the class), I also participated in the marching percussion and drum line. Luckily for me, some women were already involved in the program and it wasn't too unusual, but the expectations of others were extremely present and could sill be felt within the spectating communities of school and etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that you were involved in band and marching percussion, that's awesome!

      Delete
  2. Hey Megan! I’ll be the first to tell you that it is accepted for women to play percussion instruments. My best friend and I proved that to be true in our middle school band. She carried it on while I did sports. I’m also glad that you don’t let certain things get you down. You’re an amazing human being and keep doing whatever you love to do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Megan! My experiences are very similar to yours. I was also in a choir as a kid and almost everyone in my choir was a girl. The few boys that sang in a choir were considered "weird". Just as you write, boys were supposed to do sports and not sing. I think that there were boys that wanted to sing, but they didn't want to get comments about it, so they played soccer instead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job on your blog. I'm sorry you are unable to play a physical instrument, but your voice is also an instrument. Don't feel bad about not living up to expectations. It's not something you can control. I can't play instruments either, just because I can't see the notes or read music. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lexi, that means so much! You're an amazing person!

      Delete
  5. Hi Megan! I agree that females can sometimes be judged if they do not listen to the typical music that many people expect us to. It was interesting to see your middle school's choir attire. I’m used to the typical long black dress. I have always been surrounded by music as well, my grandad plays the piano, my uncle plays the electric guitar and keyboard, and there are a ton of singers in my family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that your family is so musical- that's awesome. :) and yes, I wish my middle school would've let us wear the dresses- oh well haha.

      Delete
  6. I like how you went into how it’s not typical for a girl to listen to heavy-metal. Although I don’t think anything‘s wrong with that but I get where you’re coming across and what you’re trying to say. But it’s awesome for this blog that she have so many personal experiences that you can relate to gender in music. Also I think it’s amazing you did band and don’t listen to anyone else’s opinion that thinks otherwise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there is definitely nothing wrong with that! My brother was the one who did band, but I was in middle school choir :) Thank you Dallas!

      Delete
  7. Hi! I really enjoyed reading your blog. Sharing your personal experiences has made it inspirational. I wish people were more open minded about music and instruments, and those who play them. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really enjoyed your blog. You have so many experiences and I agree that there is this preset expectations of what types of music each gender should listen to.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment