Cool stuff- Native American music

Cool stuff-Native American music 

1) Dresses: I was really fascinated by the Jingle Dresses that are worn in Pow wows in the Native American community. They fascinate me because you do not see dresses like that around here and I like them. I like them for how different they are to each person and what it means to wear them. They are very unique with different layers that make music. The beat itself is very steady alongside the chanting. The colors, stripes and flower patterns are really pretty to me. The people dance  in the dances dance in circles stomping on the ground with each other and sing. The dresses themselves have a variety of different patterns that are colorful and vibrant. The dress is typically about floor to ankle length with a high neck and long sleeves. This specific dance was in June of 2016 at the Grand Hinckley Celebration in Hinckley, Minnesota. The dance signifies community to me. 

The woman is wearing a dress with red, blue, yellow and green different patterns. She has long braids in and a belt around her waist.


 2) Recipe:  The next thing that interested me about the Native American culture was a recipe I found on YouTube for Corn Mush. It is a dish that an infant would eat when they are starting to eat solid food. It's also a dish that an elder would eat going from solid to liquid food again, as said by Brian Yazzie. He mentions in the Southwest the dish is traditionally served with agave and sumac syrup. In the video, the corn is mashed until it becomes a paste, and he cooks it down until it is thick like oatmeal. Then he adds chokecherries on top that have been cooked to a syrup and strained to get lumps out. The dish is similar to oatmeal that we would typically have. I liked it because I've never really seen a dish like this before. The fact that the youngest to the oldest eat this dish is really cool. It sounds delicious because corn is one of my favorite foods. :) 

A bowl of purple corn mush that is in a white bowl with a big spoon


3.) Musical artist:
The final thing that I found interesting about the Native American culture is a Sioux traditional song by Charles Littleleaf. He plays the flute in G minor and seems to have great breath control for the song. I chose the first video because I have always liked to listen to the Flute. The dynamic of the song is very soft, and the beat is very calm. He was on pitch for the entire duration of the song. The song is very peaceful and relaxing to listen to. I did some more research on Charles Littleleaf because I wanted to know more about him. I found out from the second video that he was born on the Warm Springs Indian reservation. He moved to Portland, Oregon to go to college. He then  started playing the flute because a friend sent it to him, and it let him express his thoughts. He now  creates custom-made carved flutes for customers to buy. 





Comments

  1. I love the multigenerational properties of indigenous dancing. By introducing the culture at a young age, the practice as well as craftsmanship can be passed down and continued as familial tradition. This in turn can apply to the cyclical nature of the corn mush as well, with the recipe being passed down and used during all stages of life (from elder to child and so on).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's really interesting- Thank you for telling me!

      Delete
  2. Hey Megan! I love creamed corn myself. It is one of my favorite side dishes as well. It also a treat, haha get it, to see any food that is made in another culture. I agree with you on that the food looks appetizing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Megan!! It is so funny that you mentioned cream corn because growing up it was one of my favorite foods!!! I also found the Native American flute to be quite interesting!! It is nice to see that I was not the only one thinking that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes haha it is the best! The flute is one of my favorites. :)

      Delete
  4. Hey Megan! The jingle dresses were one of the most interesting topics in this lesson to me! I love how bright the colors of the dresses are as well! Also, I would like to try this recipe some day because I like oatmeal. By the way, I love the sound of the flute too. If I had to choose an instrument to play, it would definitely be the flute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey!

      I would agree, if I could play an instrument it would definitely be the flute.

      Delete
  5. I love jingle dresses. Something that is always so incredible to me about it, is that they re often made by the wearer themselves. I love how they make their own dress that holds such value and importance. I wonder how many tries it takes for many to get their first one right? Charles Littleleaf sounds like he has a fascinating backstory, I would like to learn more about him.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment