My Musical Culture

Hello everyone!  I'm Megan Stribble and I decided to take this class because I wanted to expand my musical knowledge from different cultures. I'm a junior currently and my major is Child and Family Studies. I grew up in Woodruff, SC which is about 20 minutes from Converse. I also have a twin brother named Matthew.  My favorite musical genres are contemporary Christian music, pop, some 70's and 80's music, rock, and some country music. Lately, contemporary Christian music has been my favorite.  

My musical background comes from my mother's side of my family. Several of my family members can play the piano, organ, trumpet, and flute. This has allowed me to always be around music ever since I was a child. While I don't play any instruments, I did learn how to play the piano a little bit for a class. I've also sung in various choirs that I was a part of growing up and in the choir at my church prior to Covid-19.  

A picture of Megan outside under a wooden bridge surrounded by Fall leaves


1. A piece of music that is important to me. The first song that came to my mind was a song my mother used to sing to me when I was a child. The song is Barbra Streisand's version of "Not While I'm Around." It is important to me because it takes me back to a time when I had no worries or stresses to think about. It's also a sweet reminder of how much my mother loves me. The song has significance because since I was sung to as a child, it made me want to sing. 


2. An example of music that helped me get through the pandemic. A song that helped me get through the pandemic is a Christian song and it's "You Say" by Lauren Daigle. This song is important to me because it reflects my faith and helped me through some tough spots while in the beginnings of the pandemic. I like all of Lauren Daigle's music and I would say she is one of my favorites. I like the overall positive message of the song and the piano in it. I just want to add, I'm not trying to offend anyone with this song choice. 



3. An example of music I don't like. This was hard for me to choose because I would say my music taste is not really defined to one genre. However, I'm not a big of metal/heavy metal songs because I just do not care for the singing style. I like to listen to music I can relate to and for me, it can be hard to relate to. It happens to be my brother's favorite though so I will reluctantly listen to it if I am in his car. For these reasons, I do not particularly like "Nothing Else Matters" by Metallica. 




Comments

  1. It’s cool that you get your music interest from your moms side of your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Megan! Barbara Streisand's version of "Not While I'm Around" brings back a faint nostalgic memory. If I can remember, maybe we can compare each artist's version!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Quiana! I would like that, that would be interesting .

      Delete
  3. You have some great taste in music! Barbra Streisand is also always an incredible pick! I can agree a little with the metal opinion. Metal can be hard to relate to for many reasons. Between so much chaos, and being so hard to understand what they are saying...you definitely have to be in a particular mood to listen to it for an extended length.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! She is a great artist. and yes I agree, metal can seem chaotic .

      Delete

Post a Comment